The technology that is driving the future of what we call "The Internet of Things" has existed for many years. So, what has changed?
- Cheap hardware - Startups are able to develop, make mistakes and iterate like never before. This includes 3D printing!
- Low cost cloud based providers - Capturing data is just a small part of the equation. The true power comes with getting data into the cloud and analyzing it.
- Standards - BLE, NFC, ZigBee, etc are starting to take shape. The more standard the communication layers that exist, the faster adoption and convergence you will find.
- Appetite for monitoring, control and tracking - A growing trend has emerged with people wanting more data on what is going on in their environment.
- Ubiquity of mobile devices - Everyone now has a mobile device that can be used to not only control things, but access all their data.
These key technology trends are redefining the Internet of Things and IoT Weekly News is here to help you understand and follow these shifts in the industry.
Connecting our devices, homes, and business to each other, and to the internet, should provide us with more power and intelligence about our lives. While the capability of a single connected device is interesting it's the aggregate data collected by all our machines that is most compelling and valuable. Having our personal data more accessible means issues of security and privacy become ever more significant in the Internet of Things.